Monday, October 13, 2014

Vogue 8648: Lace dress

 

 
 
I have a wedding coming up in October so needed a special dress for it (any excuse to sew some frosting!)

I bought this fabric a couple of years ago just after I'd started sewing. I found it in Spotlight and fell in love with it back then.....Well, now I look at it and mostly notice the fact that its a poly knit with the lace overlayed and the stretch runs opposite to how I'd prefer - I feel like the lace is on its side but that's what you get for poly knit from spotlight I guess.


Size wise: its a sz 20 with a 1" FBA, 1" swayback and a forward shoulder of 1". I sewed the underbust seam with only a 1/4" seam allowance, I've adjusted the pattern for in the future with another 3/4" of length to the front only to add a bit more length.

The waistband is pleated, easier than I thought even though I wasted a heap of paper trying to understand how to pleat it and how wide to do the pleats. I am pretty happy with my pleat matching at the sides though!


The bodice is lined, I didn't worry about lining the waistband, it seems quite sturdy because of the pleating.


Added pockets from Simplicity 2588. These are my go to in-seam pockets, I like how they attach into the waistband which keeps them in place.

 
I'm really happy with the bodice fit on this - after a couple more tweaks I think it will be my TNT dress bodice.

15 comments:

  1. Great job, Suzy. This is a really pretty style on you. The waistband looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep also agreeing - very pretty dress, perfect wedding style. Big tick :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute dress! And the fit is perfect. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this dress on you! The pleated waistband is awesome!! What a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely done! That waist detail is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO pretty.Fits so well, and looks nice on you. Best wishes on the upcoming wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The finishings are wonderful. What a cool dress and perfect for the wedding...unless you make another wonderful outfit. You have such lovely clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a skirt! And as always, the perfect colour way and perfection in construction. Enjoy the day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is gorgeous, Suzy! The fit and style is awesome on you ~ love that waistband detail ... enjoy the wedding ... J

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dang, Suzy! This is gorgeous. Rad pleats, BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good looking out with the share about the in-seam pockets, Ms. Suzy. I just acquired this pattern as a Craftsy affiliate. I chose a couture course which features this pattern so I'm on the lookout for sewists who look like me (read that not thin as a rail) and how they look in this frock. Truly I will be sewing the view with the narrow skirt; don't want to emphasize my hips on this one.

    Now I'm off to read your blog. Glad I "found" you, dear sewist.

    Cheers,

    Lyric
    http://www.sewlyricallyvintage.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous dress. I really like the waistband. The skirt is lovely. I really like pockets that attach to the waistband too. Flappy pockets is something I try to avoid.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love everything about this dress!! Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a win in every way...very flattering and well done. I love the pleating at the waist. <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your dress is beautiful, and I'm in awe of how well it fits you! You said you did an FBA; can you recommend a tutorial on how to do one that works with this pattern? My measurements are totally whacked (38" upper bust, 45" full bust, 33" waist) so I'm in desperate need of a good FBA. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete