Monday, July 21, 2014

Vogue 8774: Jeans




I've seen some great jeans pop up in the blogging world lately and it reminded me I need another pair! The last pair I made have shrunk in length (even after prewashing the denim twice) and are now in my refashion pile to be cut down into shorts.

The pattern is my TNT -  Sewaholic Thurlow legs onto the waist/hips of Vogue 8774 adjusted with my pants block. I added 1.5cm to the front inner leg with this pair as the last version had some pulling at the front.

This denim is from Spotlight tagged as Bradmill denim. Surprisingly nice, firm but still with some stretch. I bought a craftsy class back at Christmas called Sewing Designer Jeans. I highly recommend it, Angela Wolf is great in the videos and I found it really interesting about how to distress denim. I'm not sure how successful I was at it, the denim went a different colour blue instead of fading it out but I'm hoping the look will soften after a few washes. I don't think I took it quite far enough sanding it but I was worried about wearing the denim too thin.


Top stitching is with gutterman upholstery thread and the same colour in a plain polyester thread for all of the bar tacks.


The waistband has elastic in it again.


I used a great tip from Lasewist about using tape to as a template for the front fly stitching. Worked an absolute treat and will be doing it everytime I sew jeans from now on.


I made these extra long, I've always loved jeans that are a little bit too long. Comes from years of buying rtw that was too short that too long feels like a luxury.

 

 


12 comments:

  1. These are so well made. Check out the fit. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look fantastic. Your bar tacks look extremely well done - what is your secret?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marie! No secret but have found using a walking foot helps heaps and one hand behind the needle and one in front holding onto the fabric to help pull it through incase it gets bogged down.

      Delete
  3. Suzy, I say this for the twenty thousandth time- you are queen of the pants! It is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome top stitching skills! Thanks for the props. Your zipper looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Check out that topstitching! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great pair of jeans!!! I am in the process of sewing my first pair of jeans with the same Craftsy class. I am glad you found it helpful. I hope to finish mine in August, and I hope they look as stunning as yours do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally professional! I also like my jeans to be long and for the same reason. It feels like a luxury. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! I really like your posts. I admire your courage that you have to make your own clothes, I have the same problem with jeans and I always find jeans too short so yeah you're right, long jeans are a luxury!
    Greetings from Romania! Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooo, these are fantastic! I like extra long jeans too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great idea on the tape! Getting that curve is a troublesome thing... Great looking jeans :)

    ReplyDelete