Sunday, November 24, 2013

The Seaside Dress: Collette 1020





One of my favourite sites is citychic.com.au to go virtual window shopping which is where I saw this dress and fell in love with it!

 
 I couldn't find any fabric close to it online but managed to stumble across this cotton voile in Spotlight. Its a lot darker and the pattern isn't quite as random but its close enough!

 
Pattern modifications - I started with the bodice from Colette 1020 Lily dress and shaped the centre front to give a sweetheart neckline. I added to the side back piece (about 2") and then shirred the centre back pieces. I had to shape the bodice band to match the new sweetheart neckline. The straps are adjustable one, which I really like and are surprisingly easy to make. The bodice is lined with a stretch cotton poplin.

 
Skirt wise, its a straight dirndl gathered skirt, I cut 2 rectangles the width of the material (which was roughly  double and a bit the size of my waist), cutting the back one up the centre so I could add the zip. The pockets are drafted on, though I should have made them a lot deeper, they are a bit shallow!

 
I wasn't sure if it was flat piping or binding around the pockets and bodice bands but went with white bias binding (because that's what I had!)
 

I wasn't sure what the gathered skirt would look like but I think because the voile is so thin and I ironed down the gathers, it sits really nicely. I have a couple of pull marks at the bodice band but I think that's just because I fitted it wearing a different bra. Bring on summer!

19 comments:

  1. So engines we just not sure when you are making but the result is absolutely sweet, this is certainly the case. I was to steal it. So summery

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it wonderful when you find something that almost matches what you had your heart set on?? Your dress looks wonderful. I love the shirred back and the white binding is a really nice touch. A very classic look. Congratulations. Cheers, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have made a fabulous version of that dress. The piping looks super.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on your Seaside dress. Looks just like your inspiration dress and you really nailed the fit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super .. its ditto ditto. Love the way you made it :) - Diya TheHobbyHarbor

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it, it's the perfect summer dress. I'm a fan of darker blues so I think it looks better than the original, well done Suzy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You definitely have nailed this one! Looks brilliant on you ~ just perfect for our 'almost-here' summer ... J

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great copy.. I think I like yours better, especially the shirred back and the white bias. A perfect summer dress indeed (even though my girlfriend in Adelaide told me tonight, that it's been pretty cool down there - but this week has got some hot days coming apparently so enjoy your dress!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this dress you made! Super job on re-creating something you saw that you loved.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love everything you make and find your makes inspirational. This dress is so creative and gorgeous. You have a stylish summer in your future.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! this is beautiful! love all the changes you made, your finished dress is adorable and looks better than the rtw inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The style, the fabric choice, the dress length, the details, they all come together just right to look fabulous on you. Love it! And I agree with Coco's comment above -- your dress looks better than the rtw inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That city chic dress is lovely - you've made a great copy of it! Great shirring, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is adorable and so summery! I love that you knocked off a RTW dress but made it work for you. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete