Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Vogue 8774: Jeans






More jeans! Similar to this pair, I used my TNT pattern of Vogue 8774 with the legs from the Thurlow pants and used my pants block to adjust it.

The denim is from Rathdowne fabrics, its fairly stiff but seems to be wearing well.

I think I have finally cracked the perfect waistband treatment. Using a denim facing and the topstitching really does help, I think it was the cotton facings I've always used that really contributed to stretching out. Because the denim was stretch denim I also cut the waistband with a little negative ease. Using a denim facing does add a little bulk and my machine refused to sew the belt loops on but I figure its worth it.

I used high density elastic as the interfacing, other than some fusible behind the button and buttonhole the waistband has no other interfacing in it. The elastic gives it  stability and stops it folding down plus stops it stretching out over the day. I left a small section of the facing slip stitched down so if need be I can tighten (or loosen) the elastic without having to unpick the whole waistband as well.

Its a combo of Debbie Cooks elastic waistband method and Sandra Betzinas method out of Power sewing except I don't zig zag the elastic down so I can alter it a lot easier at a later date if I need to, mine is just threaded through and stitched down near the front pockets where the belt loops would normally cover it up.

I used a Gutermann upholstery thread in 968 for the topstitching and the normal poly thread for the bartacks and buttonholes.


I wanted a slightlier funky look to the back pockets this time and found these large eyelets in Lincraft. I bashed them a little too hard and if you look really closely they are slightly oval but I like the look of them, something different than just topstitching the pockets.


I've been wearing them around a lot and the legs have bagged out bu the waist hasn't so I count it as a win! I've had a terrible run of sewing lately, lots of wadders (skirts, I'm looking at you!) so its nice to sew something that fits and is really comfy to wear!


14 comments:

  1. These jeans are a true win and kinda funky too:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking jeans! I love what you did with the eyelets too. To my eye these look like as good a fit as you could ever ask. Awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THese are great! What a great fit, and they are really cool. I like the eylets on the pockets, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your jeans look fabulous - love the eyelets on the pockets. I hope you continue been able to churn out some more great porjects instead of wadders.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look really great. I don't think you could improve if you wanted to. They are perfect. Thanks for all the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your sewing & detailing are great. And the style & fit are perfect on you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray for you! The fit is fantastic & the detailing is great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hooray for you! The fit is fantastic & the detailing is great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - those are mean looking jeans. Looks great on you. Fab fit. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are fantastic. Great fit and terrific styling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh I like the eyelets on the pocket! Great stitching design too. I agree - denim facing on the waistband is bulk as, but definitely does the trick. I found that grabbing my hammer and having a go at the seams to help get them a little flatter (with some scrap cloth in between, of course!) really helped my poor little machine to cope with all the layers. When I wasn't day dreaming about how fabulous it would be to have access to an industrial machine at the moment. One can dream!
    Loving these jeans :) Great fit!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love them! What a great fit. The top stitching look impeccable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These jeans look so good! Totally inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love, love, love them. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete