Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Sewaholic 1302: Tofino pants




I was lucky enough to get picked to pattern test these (I am such a fan girl, I was so excited to get that email!). They are a pajama/lounging pant with an elastic waist and side panels that have optional piping on them. I ran out of satin for the piping so only put piping on the front seam.

I made a size 16 with about 1" added to the inner seam on the back and front legs. They are generously cut though and easy to adjust with the elastic waist.
The only thing to note is the side pattern piece stays the same for all the sizes so you don't see as much of the piping as you would in the smaller sizes, next version I think I'll take an inch from each of the front and back pieces and add them to the side pattern piece.


I did a 3 step zig zag around the top of the waistband to keep the elastic from twisting. I love the waistband tie, its nice and long!


The fabric is a vintage rayon I bought a couple of years ago, I got it on ebay and its moderately faded out, enough so that I didn't want to use it on a dress but its perfect for these pants.

I like how these are cut for a slimmer fit through the hips and waist, its still comfortable and doesn't have the bulk that you sometimes get with an elastic waist.


15 comments:

  1. Great Jim Jams. Are you going to take part in the pajama party this year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, I love the polka dot and the big blue satin bow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this has got to be the first time I've been just a little bit envious of a pattern tester! I LOVE these pants (just saw them for the first time about 3 hours ago, too) and will definitely be making them.
    So I'm presuming as a tester you didn't make any changes to the pattern? They fit very nicely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a couple of adjustments - scooped out the crotch and added to the inner leg seam. Not too much, they are pretty forgiving pants!

      Delete
  4. These are fabulous! It doesn't get much better than giant polka spots! Love them. They look very comfy and nicer than pj pants. g

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look gorgeous! I love rayon polka dots. They fit very well. I also love the Pavlova top in the last post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your pants Suzy, the combo of fabric, piping and ribbon is awesome!
    Thanks for your comment on Ginger's arrival. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are lovely Suzy! I hadn't been all that excited about this pattern until I saw your version - they look wonderful! Great tip about the side panel and piping.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! i'm dotty for polka dots anyway and your pants look great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the spots - these look so comfortable. Make them in a flowery print and wear them at the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute - I jumped onto the Sew Squirrel website and purchased after I saw yours :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your polkadot pjs! Is the inner leg seam a better place to add more 'room' than one of the outer seams? Or, by adding to the side pattern piece?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! I add to the inner leg seam because it gives me extra crotch length and stops it bunching at the front on me. I usually add a 'fitting allowance' on the sides as well, just cut it about an inch wider on the side seams then try on and take in as needed, it helps a lot when using different materials with different stretch amounts.

      Delete
    2. Awesome. Thanks for the reply! I made a trial pair of shorts & they are comfy for wandering around the house, but not quite for sitting (and definitely not for sleeping...), so need to add a bit of room.

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete