Saturday, May 18, 2013

Cake 0169: Pavlova Top





I liked this pattern when it first came out but it was Heathers version that pushed me over the edge to make it! I really like it tied with the neckline lower and the look of it open as a draped cardigan.

This is a sz 45 but I took the side seams in by nearly an inch under the arms especially. Next time I'm cutting out a 45 on the back and a 40 on the front which is what I do for the Tiramisu dress. I copied Heathers idea and rounded off the back flap too as I'll be mostly wearing it over pants. Be aware that it is pretty short, I wore it out today with a singlet underneath because I don't have any pants high enough waisted.

Fabric is purple bamboo rayon from fabric.com. Its a funny colour, looks blue in bright light and purple in darker light. Its just gorgeous, has great recovery and feels so soft. Next time I order from them I'm getting more of it!

The lapped seam had me scratching my head until I started doing it and then it all came together.


 
I really like it left open as a cardigan too so if I don't wear it much as a top I'm cutting the ties off, I did have a think about how you could make the ties removable (press studs? zipper? tied on somehow?) because that would be pretty cool! But everything I thought of either wouldn't be strong enough or would make it too stiff.

7 comments:

  1. Love it. Great colour and it looks super comfy! I rather like the idea of chopping off the ties and having it as an open cardi :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty and flattering. Thanks for the heads up about the material. I order way too much from fabric.com as it is, but love to hear when others are successful with a fabric. I think your top is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your top Suzi. You are certainly getting a great separates wardrobe. Thanks for the tip on the fabric. Must check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks fierce on you! That fabric colour is delish! And the cardi option? You are a revolutionary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, nice job. I adore this colour on you! I'm always happy when something I make inspires someone to give it a shot, because nothing makes me happier than when I enable others! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. This color looks wonderful on you! I have to look into bamboo rayon for a top some day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks fabulous on you! Love the combo with the black pants!

    ReplyDelete