Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Simplicity 1783: Denim Skirt





I've been dreaming of summer! Its been such a long cold winter down here this year, lots of frosts in the morning and rain. So its nice to sew summery clothes and dream of the beach and warm evening walks with the family!


I actually got this pattern for the pants (though they'd be nice made in bengalene for work), but I really liked the skirt and the top as well! Its meant to be made from a non-stretch fabric but I wanted a basic denim skirt. I graded up to a sz24 but with the stretch I ended up sewing a sz20. I made a tilted waist adjustment (finally figured out that's what I was doing when I raised the back waistband and lowered the front!), added back pockets too just to break the back up a bit.


I love using jeans buttons and rivets and have been ordering the prym brand from the UK to use with the prym pliers (beats a hammer any day!), but the stockist I'd been buying through has closed down. I found mrecht recommended on patternreview, you have to buy in bulk (100 buttons!) and they sell the backing bits separate, but it works out really cheap and I'm pretty impressed with them.


I really like the construction of the vent, I changed mine from being on the front of the skirt to the back and I like how its got a facing on it so it doesnt gape open.


I really like this skirt, I'll be making more for summer :)

11 comments:

  1. Very nice skirt Suzy - would look great in linen too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks beajay :) Linen would be great in summer, so cool to wear.

      Delete
  2. Ooo, very nice! The insides look sexy too. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love how you pop a surprise colour inside the waistband! Very chic! The back vent looks much neater with the facing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really impressed with the back vent, it went together easier than a normal vent too and I love using a bright colour on the inside, its half the fun of sewing your own clothes!

      Delete
  4. That's a great wardrobe staple and the color contract makes so special

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh honey, I wish I could send you some of our summer. I am pining for fall. Love this skirt, and it looks so chic with the light blue pumps. The rivets add a nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! (the shoes are blog shoes, they are slightly too high to wear in real life, lol) I can't wait for summer this year, it rained all day again today.

      Delete
  6. It's beautifully made and fits so well. I didn't give this pattern a second look when I was going through the sales-looks like a hidden gem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this inspiration. Can't wait to get started on this pattern! And love the 'blog shoes'!

    ReplyDelete