Saturday, July 28, 2012

New Look 6927: Childs coat



My best friends daughter is 18mths old and I thought it was about time I sew her something!
I had this herringbone wool fabric in the stash and wanted to use it up (its only 1m big). It was very ravelly and had quite a loose weave so I decided to blockfuse the entire piece of fabric with sheerweft fusible interfacing. I didn't add any extra interfacing as I wanted it to stay quite loose and drapey. I was going to do bound buttonholes but I didn't want to add the extra bulk to what is a tiny little jacket!


I added a lining


I didn't want to sew piping around the facings so I used flat bias strips and sewed them on at 5/8" then sewed the lining on at 3/8" which left a nice little strip exposed. I'm sure I read about this on a blog somewhere but I just can't remember (think it might have been on Sunny Gal Studios blog?)


I really enjoyed sewing this - it uses up those bits of material I always seem to end up with and its nice and quick to sew.

7 comments:

  1. That's so cute and really stylish for a little girl. I like the bias strip on the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work for a lucky little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is sooooooo lovely! You did a fabulous job on this and I love, love, love the lining! I will have to remember this pattern for my granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous work. What a lucky little girl to have a wonderful coat like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda, Bathtub Fabric QueenJuly 30, 2012 at 10:27 AM

    From tip to tail, that is perfection! Such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! It's stunning! I LOVE the lining and piping with the houndstooth, gorgeous colours.

    ReplyDelete