Sunday, July 15, 2012

McCalls 6408: Tie Cardigan




I loved Heather's version of this and since imitation is the best form of flattery, lol, I wanted one for me too!
I picked up this ponte knit at Lincraft (I love ponte! So nice to wear)


Its got heaps of ease included so I ended up cutting a szM and did a 1" FBA rotated out to the waist gathers plus a 2" upper arm adjustment and I cut about 3" off the length.


I'm pretty happy with the fit - I have some excess fabric at my lower back and it seems a little tight on my hips at the back so I might add in a back seam and add some extra width for for my hips on the next version.


I set the sleeves in flat, serged the seams and used clear elastic to stabilise the shoulder seams. I am a total convert to setting in sleeves flat, its easier to check the fit, you get no puckers on the sleeve head and its quicker - whats not to like!


I love it! It feels a bit like wearing a dressing gown because it is so comfortable, and I like how the ties give that bit of waist definition!

6 comments:

  1. Cute cardigan! I had not noticed this pattern before - I love ponte too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spotlight has had some good ponte this season. This cardi looks super for your current weather - and just love your shoes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love a good cardi, and love, love, love Ponte. I really like the ties on your sweater. Great for when the wind is blowing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your cardi - looks more like a jacket - I think I will need to purchase this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh it looks so good! I still want to make this pattern again, and I'm taking notes on how you did the alterations (sleeves, I'm looking at you). I hear you on the tight waist thing, I was considering how I was going to fix the wonkiness there too. Adding width at a centre seam may be better than trying to add it to the sides (and help with taking out fabric at the lower back).

    All in all, I love your version even more than mine! :D Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful and chic... and that blue shoes... i want them !

    ReplyDelete