Friday, April 13, 2012

Vogue 7975: The Chanel style jacket Progress



I've been a bit obsessed with Chanel style jackets ever since I read about the hidden luxury of them. Supposedly with the quilted lining and no interfacing they feel just like a sweater/cardigan to wear.

I decided to make one first for my Mum using this silk tweed from Fabric.com I got in my first international fabric order and ended up using a polyester satin for the lining as it was the nicest colour match in my stash.



I followed these tutorials for all the work - I made a muslin first, then used that as a pattern, thread traced the stitching line on the material and cut it all out with big seam allowances (about 2"). I used a walking foot to quilt it and what an amazing thing that is! Then I sewed the main fabric together, trimmed the seam allowances and ended up stitching down the seams to help them sit flat and have been stitching up the lining seams by hand...... It is the most amount of hand stitching I have done in ages (and to be honest I'm not sure if I would have started if I'd known!)





(Catch stitching)


So the progress so far: The body is nearly constructed, I have a couple more lining seams to sew down tonight then ready for another fitting on Saturday before I insert the sleeves.

10 comments:

  1. The lining colour looks amazing with the fabric, can't wait to see the finished product. Thanks for including the links to the tutorials, I'll have to add them to my bookmarks...a Chanel jacket has been on my list for years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the tutorial really helpful, even after reading about it in books and on the net its just nice to see pictures and reading a step by step tutorial doesn't make it seem so scary!

      Delete
  2. Wow Suzy - looking great. Good use of the raw silk suiting! Mine is still lingering in my stash. Can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! Its really hard to photograph it well, its so much more luxurious in real life!

      Delete
  3. Wow, how brave are you to do this. The colours are beautiful can't wait to see the finished garment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, I can't wait to see it finished too, lol!

      Delete
  4. Lovely colours and I'm sure the jacket will be perfect with all the hard work that's gone into it already.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This will look brilliant when finished!!! Yet another super effort from you in nailing this style of jacket...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doobee - I hope it will look good when finished - I have 1" satin bias binding to use as the trim but still haven't decided about pockets or if I'll do the chain hem or not.

      Delete