Monday, December 19, 2011

Simplicity 2601



This is the second time I've made this blouse, the first time was in a cotton not long after I started sewing so it had no adjustments. I've never worn it, it never fit properly around the bodice (no FBA), and the peplum tending to stick out a lot because the fabric I used was quite a heavy cotton, almost a quilting weight. So this time around I used a Cotton Satin which is a lot thinner and made a sz18 with a 1" FBA and added 2" to the back width which I ended up easing into the midriff band as it was too much. I think a bit of the oversizing is due to the fabric as it has some give to it.
I originally made the flutter sleeve version but the sleeves didn't quite fall right, so I cut them down to fit tighter.



Its a very neat construction method with this blouse - there's no facings except for the midriff band and the inside is all finished with bias binding. The pattern calls for interfacing the midriff band, but I interfaced both the midriff band and the midriff facing as this fabric is fairly flimsy and I'm only got light/medium interfacing at the moment.



I used black buttons from my stash


I'm struggling a bit with this blouse because it's so different to everything I usually wear, even though when I look at the photos I think it looks fine. It feels quite feminine and pretty when I usually wear knitted tanks and cardigans, I think I just need to wear it around a bit and get used to it. At least its work appropriate and it should be fairly cool as its 100% cotton, and I can see making it again as a sleeveless blouse to wear with a shrug/cardigan

6 comments:

  1. Wow, how far you have 'sewn' along since you have first started. And this little top sure highlights that. And yes, it is a little different to your usual bright and cheerful dresses, but if it is for work, well, work is work!!!
    Great job on this top, love the inside detail just as much as the outside - did you make your own bias binding for the inside??? Hate making my own...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely feminine blouse and I think it is very flattering and shows off your waist beautifully.I must look at this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I think this top is super flattering!! Luv it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suzy, this top looks so good on you! Great job on the alterations and tweaks. Love the polka dots. Lookin' good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work! It looks fabulous on you!
    So well made and nicely finished.
    I own this pattern, but after seeing your version I am now inspired to make it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone!
    Doobee64 - I usually make my own cotton bias tape but buy the satin binding. I did buy myself a Simplicity Bias Binding maker for christmas though - I'm waiting on a 1/2" tip and then I'll review it up on here :)

    ReplyDelete