Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Sewaholic 1102 : Lonsdale Dress



Description: Halter-style dress has a fitted, self-lined bodice and flared skirt with front pockets. Knotted neckline features adjustable shoulder straps that tie in a bow at the back. View A is knee length and View B is full length.

I made View A

Fabric: Interlock knit

Pattern Sizing: I made a size 6

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, it does!

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes they were.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I love the look of the halterneck, but no knot to push into the back of your neck. Also it has pockets!




Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I originally graded out from a 6 at the bust to a 12 at the waist and back to a 6 at the hips. But as the knit has a lot of stretch I ended up taking in a good 4-5 inches through the bodice. I ended up shortenign the skirt by a good 4 inches as well.



I added stay tape from the underarms to the centre of the bodice as I didn't want the knit to stretch out over time.

I lined the bodice in a basic white knit as I was worried if I lined in the stripe fabric it would show through. I lined up to the straps and then used the stripes. I cut the skirts on the bias to make the most of the chevron effect.
Because I used a knit I didn't put in a zipper.


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes! I originally bought this pattern for me, but after 3 muslins I still couldn't get the bodice to fit right so I thought I'd make it for my daugther instead. I used a cheap ($2 a metre) fabric from the clearance table at spotlight but am really happy with how it turned out. I love how the straps tie at the back of the bodice

No comments:

Post a Comment